Friday, March 11, 2011

Missing

When the one I love travels, my home is suddenly full of holes. Looking at the possessions left behind, I suddenly become aware of all the missing pieces. His favorite seat is empty. Toothbrushes and toiletries have disappeared from the bathroom. Clothes are missing from the dresser and closet.

Strange, how such small details go unnoticed until he is gone. The things that annoy me - his stuff on my side of the bed, his insufferable mannerisms - fade from memory and are meaningless. But the good suddenly holds such power as soon as it is missing.

While the absence of these things is sad, it is also comforting. It is a reminder that my loved one is somewhere, alive and hopefully well, and all these things are with him. It means he is coming back.

- wit - 

No comments:

Post a Comment